In order to be happy in life, it is critical to understand what to hold on to and what to let go of to make that happen. Although there are many popular tips to help you make these decisions, sometimes it is best to sit down and think of all the things that benefit you and what weighs you down every day. After coming up with the answer, try writing them down and going over them daily to start your road to happiness.
Five Things to Give Up
1. Negativity – A negative attitude is very easy to have in life and it is also what takes away a great deal of happiness. Instead of looking at a situation and instantly seeing the negative side of it, take a moment and figure out even just one thing that is positive in the situation to help ease your anger or stress.
2. Fear – Fear is something that will hold you back from anything in life, even if you are scared the slightest. Although fear is uncomfortable, to be happy, you need to push through whatever fear you have. It may be difficult at first, but once you break through and accomplish what you have been wanting or needing to do, it will bring a great deal of pride and happiness into your life.
3. Overindulging – We all love to indulge in food or adult beverages, but it is important to know when enough is enough. Indulging too much is what makes us spend more money and in the end, places more weight on our backs with money that needs to be made up for.
4. Self-Criticizing – Instead of self-criticizing yourself, try being positive. Set goals for your fitness and health. By setting goals that will put you in shape, you will start to notice your self-criticizing ways leaving instead of always bringing you down.
5. People Pleasing – So many people get caught up in making others happy that they tend to forget how to do that for themselves. The next time you catch yourself spending the day trying to please everyone around you, try taking a step back and doing something nice for yourself.
Five Things to Always Hold Onto
1. Financial Goals – If you have always had financial goals like monthly savings or monthly dividend stocks, be sure to keep them active. Keeping these goals will benefit you financially and with happiness.
2. Education – If you have always strived to have a better education, never let go of that goal. By getting a better education, you will earn a higher income and gain more pride in your life for reaching all of the goals that you have set for yourself. Education will also lead you to have a job you love and not one you dread waking up to in the morning.
3. Work Ethic – Having a strong work ethic in today’s society is extremely important if you want to pay your bills every month. By maintaining a good work ethic, you will notice your happiness increasing from having the money you need to live comfortably while still being able to treat yourself from time to time.
4. Motivation – Motivation is something everyone needs in life or you can find yourself on a dead-end road with no means to succeed. By having motivation, you will start completing your goals and watching your happiness increase from finishing tasks and projects that you started a long time ago. Even just a little motivation will go a long way in life.
5. Self-Awareness – Always hold onto your self-awareness as it is important to understand yourself and know when you’re overreacting or when you need to step it up a notch in life. Losing your self-awareness will leave you open to negative situations with a possibly catastrophic outcome if you’re in the wrong situation.
Knowing what to let go of and what to hang onto can be a very hard task in life, but it is worth the effort. Once you distinguish what is good and bad for you, you will start to notice your mood improve through time. Letting go of certain things may take more time then you want, but the end results will be astonishing.