That first day of school has happened for some of you out there, but for us it’s closer to the end of August. With that being said I am quickly on the search for ways to make after school snack time easier. I am a work from home Mom who thrives on balancing the ever demanding client schedule plus motherhood schedule. Once back to school season hits here in our household, I will be adding a few things to my schedule. We have a back to school night for all three kids, soccer season will be in full swing and the kids will need me to monitor homework completion happens in a timely fashion. It’s time for us parents to find easy to make snack ideas in a way that celebrates this first day in a new grade, that’s why I am sharing this first day of school snack Chalkboard Rice Krispies. What a fantastic way to welcome home your kids on that first day of school!
Chalkboard Rice Krispies
Yields: 6 Chalkboard Rice Krispies Treats
- 9×9 pan Rice Krispies (recipe below)
- 1 Tablespoon solid shortening
- 1 cup Wilton black candy melts
- 2 large red Airhead candies
- 2 large blue Airhead candies
- 2 large green Airhead candies
- White icing tube
Rice Krispies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Directions for Rice Krispies
1. Spray a 9×9 pan with a non-stick coating spray and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the butter, stirring constantly until melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal until well-coated.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down firmly.
6. Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 6 large bars.
How to Decorate Chalkboard Rice Krispies
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place the 6 Rice Krispies bars on the sheet. Set aside for later.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon solid shortening for 45 seconds or until melted. Add the black candy melts and stir until melted. (You may have to microwave in additional 10 second increments until the candy is smooth and melted).
3. Dip the tops of the Rice Krispies bars into the melted black chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes to harden. Or, if you find it easier, you can just use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate on top of each bar.
4. To make the border around each chalkboard, cut each candy Airhead into 4 strips.
5. Lay the strips along the outer edge of each Rice Krispies bar and gently press down. (You may have to trim the pieces depending on the size of your bars). They will easily stick to the Rice Krispies treats thanks to the gooey marshmallows.
6. With the white tube of icing, pipe your favorite back to school phrases on the chalkboards.
I really hope that you will give this recipe creation a try for a surprise back to school first day of school after school snack!
24 thoughts on “First Day of School Snack – Chalkboard Rice Krispies”
Those are so completely adorable! These are the perfect treats for school lunch desserts.
These look so cute and yummy. I will have to make some and take them over to my niece and nephew.
Those are completely adorable! I don’t think I’ve ever seen this take on Rice Krispies Treats before.
Cute and delicious snacks! I am sure any kid would love to see these waiting for them when they come home from school. My kids are all grown ups now and I guess if I’d make treats like this, it would be for the grandchildren. 🙂
What a fun recipe for back to school. All the kids I know would love this treat.
These are too cute! They are a lot of fun.
These are oh so super cute! A great way to get the kids slightly more excited for back to school! I know mine aren’t really looking forward to going back!
I love me some rice krispy treats! This looks like a deliciously fun way for my family to spend some time in the kitchen and being creative. I can see these making a nice gift for the teacher too.
What a cute idea! My kids love rice krispie treat and these would be perfect for back to school!
I totally love these! You decorated them so well.
SUPER CUTE IDEA! I’m sure my daughter would love these for BTS.
What an adorable back to school snack idea. These would be great to bring into the classroom as welcome treat too!
Oh my gosh these are the best! This is such a cute back to school treat. I love your designs.
Those are so neat! And, quite tasty looking, I might add. I love Rice Krispies treats!
Wow! What a creative idea! This was so fun for sure. I think, my nephew would love it.
I love this idea. I will have to make some for the kids lunches to surprise them.
Wow! My son loves rice krispies. I hope I can make some for him, even if he is not into schooling.
Those are so adorable! These would make a great school snack!
What a fun idea and a great surprise for when the kids get home on their first day!
Now if this isnt the cutest thing! This would be so thoughtful to give to a teacher and a class!
These look like such cute back to school snacks. I love how intricate they came out!
Those are adorable!! They’d be great to take along for the classroom snack too!
These are so cute! My boys would love to make something like this for back to school treats.
What an awesome way to celebrate going back to school. Bringing these in for the class would be such an awesome idea.