Filling water balloons, this near daily task never gets easier as each Summer arrives. It’s such a tedious task for such a short time period of fun. I do it every year though, just to seek smiles and laughter from my children. A pile of empty water balloons are set on the counter, this sets the limit on how many I will fill with water, tie and place into a mop bucket.
I filled this amount of water balloons, two times. Yes, two times. The boys were happy, but we had to go over some rules of engagement before they were allowed to start grabbing and throwing balloons at each other. I am going to share with you, how we enjoy a good ole backyard water balloon battle with little to no arguments.
First off, I place all water balloons into a mop bucket, any bucket shall do, and bring it outside with the kids. I know once you fill the balloons it will be difficult to get the kids to not touch them right away, but it’s vitally important that you let them know, none of these get touched until the ground rules aka Rules of Engagement are heard and agreed upon …
- No one, and I mean no one is to throw a water balloon at anyone’s face, unless told to do so by that person.
- No one is to throw a water balloon at another person unless they 1) have a water balloon in hand and 2) are partaking in the battle.
- When the bucket of water balloons are gone, there are no more water balloons, so use them wisely.
- If your kids are like mine can be, make sure to count how many balloons each child is allowed to have. Once used up, they are done.
- No throwing water balloons at any windows, cars or other inanimate objects that may break.
- Last but not least, HAVE FUN!
If you are the adult making all of the water balloons, make sure to get a few thrown at you too, just for fun. Getting out there, throwing water balloons and being one with your kids this Summer is a great way to build family unity and bonds. Keep smiling and having fun this Summer with your family, make memories every chance you get.
I got soaked and the water was FREEZING COLD, but it was so much fun to watch the boys excitement over getting Mama and WINNING our little water balloon battle. Next time? I will be the winner. I swear.