When the warm weather approaches, there’s one thing on every teenager’s mind: fireworks. Setting off fireworks can be a ton of fun, but it can also be dangerous. Here are a few tips for practicing firework safety.
1. Only purchase legal fireworks. The way to tell if they’re legal is to see if they have a manufacturer’s label that includes the company’s name and directions for use. If the fireworks are illegal, they’ll be unlabeled.
2. Always store fireworks in a dry and cool place.
3. Get wireless fireworks. The farther you are from them when they go off, the less of a risk you take.
4. Only set fireworks off outside. Always make sure there’s a working hose nearby in case of an emergency.
5. Make sure everyone’s far away from the fireworks. Even if you have it pointed in one direction, fireworks are notorious for backfiring or shooting off in a random direction.
6. Don’t carry fireworks in your pocket – the friction that’s created as you walk could set off the fireworks.
7. Never have a body part over the top of the firework while you light it.
8. Don’t ever relight a dud firework.
When fireworks aren’t handled the right way, they can cause serious injuries and burns. While it’s always best to leave firework handling to the pros, if you’re going to set them off yourself, take as many precautions as possible.