I ran across a great idea while looking for frozen crock pot meals, frozen breakfast burritos that you make not buy from a box. Yes, you heard that right. It is amazing the things you can prepare on a weekend, when you have a bit more time than a week day and then heat up to heat later in the week. As a busy work from home mom of three, I am all about finding ways to make more time with my kids. Creating these breakfast burritos will allow before school time run smoother and it gives your family a quick breakfast option for a busy day. This idea is derived from the recipe found at GoodenessGracious.com.
This is such an easy task to do on a Sunday; I plan to make these differently each week.
For starters this is a recipe for breakfast burritos that have ham, egg and shredded cheese in them. You will need the following to do this:
- Paper Towels
- Scrambled Eggs (already prepared/cooked by you)
- Shredded Cheese (any flavor preferred by your family)
- Pre-cooked Chunks of Ham
- Tortilla Wraps
- 1 Gallon Resealable Freezer Bag
Optional fillings to replace current listed ingredients or ones to add to this recipe:
- Chopped green Peppers
- Chopped Onion
- Ground pre-cooked Sausage
- Pre-cooked bacon
I chose to cook about 6 eggs into scrambled format and this created about 10 breakfast burritos to freeze. My whole family won’t eat these, just about 3 of them will enjoy these for breakfast so I kept that in mind when preparing these frozen breakfast burritos for my family. I am not sure how long these will keep in the freezer, so I won’t store them longer than one week in my home.
How to Make the Breakfast Burritos –
- Make sure your eggs are fully scrambled to your liking.
- Cut up ham into about 1/4 square pieces.
- Have shredded cheese ready to grab.
- Take one soft tortilla wrap and place scrambled eggs in middle of wrap.
- Proceed to add your fillings one by one on top of the eggs; keep in mind this wrap has to fold up in a burrito style fold.
- Once the wrap is full of ingredients you wish to add, wrap it into burrito style fold up.
- Take one paper towel and wrap over each burrito, individually wrapped.
- Place all individually wrapped breakfast burritos into a resealable freezer bag and place in freezer.
- Optional – Label freezer bag with what type of breakfast burritos are in this bag and date that you froze it.
How to enjoy a breakfast burrito for breakfast during the week –
Simply heat one breakfast burrito for 90 seconds, while microwave ovens may vary in temperature, this is the time that has worked well for my family.
Let cool. Serve and enjoy!
What ingredients would you place inside your frozen breakfast burritos?