That first day of school has happened for some of you out there, but for us it’s closer to the end of August. With that being said I am quickly on the search for ways to make after school snack time easier. I am a work from home Mom who thrives on balancing the ever demanding client schedule plus motherhood schedule. Once back to school season hits here in our household, I will be adding a few things to my schedule. We have a back to school night for all three kids, soccer season will be in full swing and the kids will need me to monitor homework completion happens in a timely fashion. It’s time for us parents to find easy to make snack ideas in a way that celebrates this first day in a new grade, that’s why I am sharing this first day of school snack Chalkboard Rice Krispies. What a fantastic way to welcome home your kids on that first day of school!
Chalkboard Rice Krispies
Yields: 6 Chalkboard Rice Krispies Treats
- 9×9 pan Rice Krispies (recipe below)
- 1 Tablespoon solid shortening
- 1 cup Wilton black candy melts
- 2 large red Airhead candies
- 2 large blue Airhead candies
- 2 large green Airhead candies
- White icing tube
Rice Krispies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Directions for Rice Krispies
1. Spray a 9×9 pan with a non-stick coating spray and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the butter, stirring constantly until melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal until well-coated.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down firmly.
6. Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 6 large bars.
How to Decorate Chalkboard Rice Krispies
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place the 6 Rice Krispies bars on the sheet. Set aside for later.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon solid shortening for 45 seconds or until melted. Add the black candy melts and stir until melted. (You may have to microwave in additional 10 second increments until the candy is smooth and melted).
3. Dip the tops of the Rice Krispies bars into the melted black chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes to harden. Or, if you find it easier, you can just use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate on top of each bar.
4. To make the border around each chalkboard, cut each candy Airhead into 4 strips.
5. Lay the strips along the outer edge of each Rice Krispies bar and gently press down. (You may have to trim the pieces depending on the size of your bars). They will easily stick to the Rice Krispies treats thanks to the gooey marshmallows.
6. With the white tube of icing, pipe your favorite back to school phrases on the chalkboards.
I really hope that you will give this recipe creation a try for a surprise back to school first day of school after school snack!