While I am not married, you know I’ve gone that route and ended in an amicable divorce. I am truly blessed that there is very little drama in my life, and drama only comes around when I allow others into my life that don’t belong treading in it. As far as my relationship goes, it’s perfect for me. I am going to share a few simple ways to show love based on my experiences thus far in a relationship.
Going on 11 months of being together and still getting goosebumps is an amazing feeling. Almost daily I fall in love with this man again. From a look to a touch to simple gestures, this man truly holds my whole heart in his hands. Since I continue to fall in love daily with this man, I felt I should share 5 simple ways to show love, as I feel this may help your relationship flourish.
5 Simple Ways to Show Love
- Do the Laundry – the other week I had laundry piled high, it’s just how it goes. A work from home parent who puts folding laundry on the lowest priority level. It’s clean. It’s in baskets. That counts for something, right? Well my man asked what was on my plate, as I was getting a bit overwhelmed; I gave him the list of what I had on my plate. Out of it all, he decided folding the three baskets of laundry would help alleviate my stress. And it did. What he didn’t realize is that in that moment, I fell in love all over again.
- Surprise Hug and Kiss – there are often times where I am out in the center of the home tending to children, getting ready to cook dinner and dealing with the dogs under my feet. While all of this is the sense of home sweet home to me, the moment when my man comes out to the kitchen from his work time to grab ahold of me and give me a huge hug, makes me fall in love with him all over again. Surprise hugs and kisses can melt the heart for sure.
- A Night Away From It All – recently I had some situations come into my life where I had my niece for a couple of weeks. She is three and it was a bit of a change for this work from home mom who has her life setup for older kids. I was stressed, I was losing it and I felt like everything was out of my control. I literally could have walked away from my relationship, due to no fault of his. I kept saying I needed a night away with nature, in a cabin. He made it happen, and just like that he whisked me away to a town in the middle of nowhere to get away.
- Taking Time to Ask How to Help – this is a great way to show that we are a team, something I can forget when times get stressful. Every so often he can just tell when I am getting a bit overwhelmed. Summer break is hard because I have to balance my work between tending to three kids. He takes the time to ask how he can help, often I will say he can’t, but the simple fact is he asks and that makes my heart melt.
- Ending Our Day Together – we both work from home so it’s easy to get caught up in client work and making that next big gig happen. We both know that our work takes dedication and drive, but what I love about us is that we always try to end our day together. Be it sitting on the back deck watching the stars over great conversations or sitting down to a movie night in the living room after the kids are asleep; ending our day together is a simple way to show love.
When life gets stressful any relationship can get tense, sadly our loved ones usually pay the most when we are stressed. I think that any relationship will last long term if they don’t lose sight of the end of the tunnel, that desire to withstand anything together and having the ability to show love in these simple ways.
Our life together isn’t perfect; we have had to work out some kinks and will continue to have trying times arise. What gets us to stay connected is our drive to be on the other side of everything, together. While I have difficulty with the whole “we” mentality as times get tough, after all I have spent more time doing it on my own than with someone, I am working to find ways to realize that the love we have is real. This love seems everlasting to me, so as long as we both continue to make the effort to show love.