After having a few days of complete awesome warmth and sunshine it has now started to get cold again here in New Hampshire which has left me frustrated and wishing we can just skip Spring now and head into swimming weather. What I wouldn’t give to be pool side watching the kids splash around in the pool. Now that I think about it, while pool season totally rocks, there are some concerns that occur with pool season being that I am a protective Mama and all; pool safety!
I get so nervous around pools with my children, the oldest has been swimming for many years but is still a beginner in many ways. Let’s face it, no matter the age of your child, a pool can be a dangerous place and that is why you should take the following precautions to ensure that your child is safe during the Summer swimming season;
- Have a fence around the pool area as well as a child proof locked gate to the entrance of the pool.
- Use an automatic pool cover to keep the water covered, thus not accessible to children.
- Educate your children on what the rules are regarding the pool usage.
- Make sure the older kids understand they are not to take little kids into the pool without an adult supervising.
- Share videos and books with your children to ensure they understand that while a pool can be fun, it also poses many dangers and to not rough house in the pool.
There are many simple, low cost ways to try to instill every bit of safety around the pool this Summer season. Whether you choose to utilize a fence, gate and/or pool cover for your pool alongside setting rules with the children, I wish you all a warm and sunshine Summer full of laughter and great family memory making moments!