I am working on a trip. It’s not a trip that will require a day long drive but rather a short trip to my local Kmart store, without children, to try Kmart’s layaway program. As a mom to three it’s so much easier to create a Christmas wish list with the kids and then head out to place that has layaway, giving you ample time to pay for your times. You see Kmart has a cool layaway plan:
- $5 service Fee for new layaway contracts
- $10 cancellation fee
- $15 or 10% down payment (whichever is greater)
- 4 easy payments (online or in store), every other week.
- You can pay the contract down faster if you want. i.e. in only 2 or 3 payments
- Cart minimum of $15 for 8 week layaway, $300 for 12 week layaway
My Reason for Loving Kmart Layaway
One thing that really sticks out to me about the Kmart Layaway program is that you can pay online. I am a work at home mom of three, two kids in school and a busy schedule. I don’t have time nor the memory sometimes to get to a store to pay for anything. I don’t like having to bring my kids into the store for a simple payment to be made. Paying online is very convenient and you can even shop online to put things on layaway which is really cool for someone like me who doesn’t always want to go in store to shop or always has children with her so couldn’t get away with shopping in store for Christmas items. Besides the layaway program, I honestly shop at Kmart way more than any other store when looking for competitive prices and a unique selection.
Current Kmart Layaway Offer
- Initiate your layaway contract between 11/16 and 11/27 and you can get a $5 or $10 gift card (8 or 12 week contracts respectively)
- Use Promo Code: LAYAWAY at checkout – or visit kmart.com/layaway to download a barcode flyer that is good for use in store.
- Must be a SYWR Points BONUS Member to be eligible (must have an account & an email attached to it). Visit http://www.kmart.com/shop-your-way-rewards/dap-100000000380502 for SYWR details.
- See kmart.com/layaway for full details
Kmart Layaway Benefits vs. Competitors
- Available on virtually all items in the store and online (marked as “Available for Layaway”) – including small kitchen appliances, sporting goods, fitness equipment, pet items, health and beauty items, and of course – clothing (as well as toys, electronics etc. which are what other retailers offer)
- No per-item minimum cost requirement. i.e. if you buy 5 $10 shirts for the kids, your cart is layaway eligible. (This is not true for other retailers that have a per-item minimum cost.)
- 8 or 12 week options for the layaway contract in most stores, please call your local store to verify, or check on Kmart.com. 12 week is available in most stores (except stores in MD, which DO offer 8 week, but not the 12 week option).
- Good year-round – Others end on 12/16 (you must complete your payments and pick it up by then, or the contract is canceled), Kmart’s last day for layaway pickup before Christmas is 12/24. Plus if you want to put an item down and pick it up in January for the “Big Game” you can do that too.
- Initiate contract on Kmart.com – just like regular shopping, just select “layaway” as the arrival method. (Other retailers exclude online items.)
- Make payments on Kmart.com
- Layaway at Kmart is available on Black Friday – stock up on awesome door busters, pay off later! (Other retailers exclude Black Friday deals.)
- Payment calculator on Kmart.com/layaway so you can set your budget before you even start shopping.
FYI: The Kmart Layaway program details shared in this blog post are valid in the continental United States stores only. Good news is, yes Kmart Layaway is also available at Sears.
Disclosure: I am a Kmart brand ambassador which means I do receive compensation for writing this article. All opinions and personal stories are that of my own 100%.