Getting the word out about your blog is one of the most important aspects of being a blogger, second only to providing good content. Here are eight simple ways to market your blog and start building your readership and subscribers:
1. Add Google Friend Connect. It’s simple and allows people to join your blog. As your blog grows and people see others joining, growth begins to snowball and continue to increase the number of readers.
2. Submit your blog to online directories. There are many to choose from such as Technorati, Blog Catalog, Blog Toplist or Blogarama. The more listings you get, the better, even if you only get a few followers from each.
3. Update your blog frequently. A post a day is ideal, three times a week is minimum. Think of it as a routine you have to build up and maintain, like weekly exercise. Add quality content on a regular basis and your blog will almost grow by itself.
4. Use a smartphone like the HTC Android camera phone to add your own photos. It’s got excellent editing features and is much better than using stock photos that may be seen on other blogs or websites.
5. Take part in blog carnivals. Join with other bloggers to write about a common topic and have each post linked to the next to create a circle when finished. It’s a great promo tool and very popular.
6. Add a free linking widget to your blog. This lets readers post a link to their blog at the bottom of a page or post and works to bring folks back often to add a new link.
7. Post your link on other blogs. Using the same approach in reverse, you can add your blog link to other blogs with a linking widget.
8. Comment on related blogs. Add comments to blogs that use a DoFollow tag to allow a link back to your blog or that use a latest blog post widget that lists a recent post you wrote.
There are many other ways to get the word out about your blog but these will get you started and help your blog begin to grow in popularity.