The tax deadline is April 15, 2010 and Fellowes is wondering if you have thought about what you will do with all that excess private paperwork that has your personal information on it? The answer is a Fellowes Microshred Shredder! Fellowes asked me to share with you some tips for protecting your family during the 2010 tax filing season and as a lover of my own Fellowes Shredder I just had to take them up on this offer and share the tips with you along with a special giveaway.
Filing Taxes Online:
- Choose a tax filing service you are familiar with. The IRS provides a list of approved companies at www.irs.gov/efile.
- Make sure personal computers are protected with updated firewall and secure software systems, which contain antivirus and anti-spyware programs.
- If you are storing important tax-related documents on your computer, change your passwords frequently between December and April.
- Ensure that every Web site you are using during tax filing is encrypted to protect personal information when transmitted.
- Shred any backup documents once you’ve filed your taxes online.
Filing Taxes By Mail:
- Regularly check the mailbox for W-2 forms and other documents containing sensitive information that arrive by mail. If you don’t receive these documents by Feb. 15, contact the IRS for assistance at (800) 829-1040 as missing forms may be an indication that an identity thief went through your mail.
- Send completed tax returns from a locked mailbox or the post office. If mailing from home, do not put the mailbox flag up. This only alerts identity thieves that there may be an outgoing check in the mail.
- Make sure tax forms, backup documents and enclosed checks are not visible from the outside. Try wrapping your forms in an extra sheet of paper to disguise the contents of the envelope.
- Keep tax paperwork and other documents in a safe and accessible place, such as a fireproof box in your home.
About Fellowes’ Microshred MS-450Ci
- Fellowes’ Microshred MS-450Ci shredders provide unmatched protection, shredding paper documents virtually into dust – nearly 3,000 particles per page, compared to nearly 399 particles per page from a Cross-Cut shredder.
- The shredder features Fellowes’ 100 percent Jam Proof technology, which includes a sensor that measures the thickness of a paper stack and stops a paper jam before it occurs. The machines also have a patented SafeSense® technology, which disables the shredders when it senses hands or large pets are too close to the paper opening, and Silent Shred™ technology, which features a quiet motor that diminishes common shredder noise concerns.
- They retail in Amazon.com for an average of $216.
The Giveaway Starts NOW & Ends 12am EST on April 29, 2010
Are you ready to take your chance at winning this awesome Fellowes’ Microshred MS-450Ci shredder?? Read on to find out what you can do to enter to win, note that any entry not completed correctly will be deleted without notification and any entries placed after the end date will not be counted as valid. Giveaway is open to USA and CANADA.
- Visit Fellowes’ website and have a look around. Then come back here to this blog post and leave a comment telling me what other product you saw that you would be interested in.
- Follow @brandyellen on Twitter and leave your Twitter username below in a comment.
- Tweet once per day by copying and pasting the following into your Twitter feed “Ensure your private information is safe! Enter @brandyellen’s #giveaway for a Fellowes’ Shredder http://bit.ly/cSjL23” Leave a comment below with the link to your tweet. ( 3 times per day max )
- Become a Fan on Facebook of Fellowes and Become a Fan of Happily Blended on Facebook. Write on the walls of both stating you found the Fan Page through a giveaway listed at Happily Blended. Leave a comment below with your Facebook Profile name.
- Subscribe to Happily Blended via email or RSS. Leave a comment telling me you did
- Become a Happy Friend by following Happily Blended through Google Friend Connect (right hand sidebar). Leave a comment telling me you did
- Subscribe to Happily Blended’s weekly newsletter. Leave a comment telling me you did and include the email address in email field you used to sign up.
Disclosure: This is a tax tips blog post courtesy of Fellowes, I did not receive compensation for this giveaway, however, I did receive a Fellowes Shredder in 2009 for free. All opinions are 100% my own!
Social Media Maven, Writer & Editor
Check out Marketing for Success: Network Marketing e-course